Diabetes: Natural Support, Prevention and Treatment
Article by Arnie GitomerDr. Murray's Natural Facts Newsletter 2:4:04
Natural Support for Diabetes
Diabetes mellitus is a disorder characterized by elevations in blood sugar levels. There are two major categories: type 1 and type 2. Type 1 diabetes is associated with complete destruction of the cells in the pancreas that manufacture insulin. Individuals with type 1 diabetes will require lifelong insulin for the control of blood sugar levels. In type 2 diabetes insulin levels are typically elevated indicating a loss of sensitivity to insulin by the cells of the body. More than 90% of the 17 million American with diabetes have type 2.
Diabetes is a serious disease because it is associated with an increased risk of life-threatening complications such as a heart attack, stroke, or kidney disease. Overall, the risk for death among people with diabetes for these catastrophic complications is about 4 times that of people without diabetes. In addition to an earlier death, diabetes carries with it significant risks for serious complications such as blindness, the need for dialysis, and limb amputation.
Q. Can natural medicine help people with diabetes?
Absolutely, in fact the most effective treatment of diabetes and other blood sugar problems requires the utilization of key lifestyle, dietary, and nutritional supplement strategies. When used properly, the natural medicine approach to diabetes can:
- Significantly reduce the risk for developing diabetes - even if many of your family members or ancestors are or were diabetic.
- Possibly reverse type 2 diabetes.
- Improve the sensitivity of cells to the action of insulin thereby improving glucose tolerance and normalizing blood sugar.
- Promote weight loss and slow down or block the absorption of sugar from the intestinal tract.
- Effectively reduce the complications of diabetes including heart disease and retinopathy.
- Improve the actions of drugs and insulin while at the same time reducing their side effects.
The book How to Prevent and Treat Diabetes with Natural Medicine that I coauthored with Michael Lyon, MD, provides clear guidance for anyone with diabetes or concerned about developing it.
Q. What specific natural products do you recommend to help improve blood sugar control?
Along with Dr. Lyon and Natural Factors, I have created the WellBetx - a family of nutritional and herbal products designed to address special nutritional needs of people with diabetes. The WellBetX products are designed to be used in conjunction with proper dietary, lifestyle, and medical treatment of diabetes. WellBetX is not designed to "treat" diabetes per se, instead it is designed to support the proper utilization of blood glucose and insulin as well as deal with some of the nutritional challenges and deficiencies that many diabetics suffer from. The various WellBetX products are designed to impact one or all of the following goals:
- Reduce after meal elevations in blood sugar levels.
- Provide optimal nutrient status.
- Improve insulin function and sensitivity.
- Prevent nutritional and oxidative stress.
The WellBetX product line from Natural Factors is available at health food stores nationwide and consists of the following formulas: [to see a price list of entire line: click here]
- PGX™ with Mulberry - A proprietary fiber blend with remarkable properties along with a special extract of mulberry leaves. [Willner Code: 43855]
- WelBetX Meal Replacement Drink Mix with PGX - A delicious way to improve blood
|Read more about Arnie Gitomer|